Monday, February 22, 2010

Patagonia part - dos


fiesta by night, street party by day. how can you not like argentina


street is where the party is



the philosophy goes - if its not siesta the its fiesta


bosque tashado

on route to bosque tashado - 20kms from el bolson
el bolson - the hippie town

around el bolson



ehhhhh haaaaaaa
lago pheulo
lago pheulo - close to el bolson

festive atmosphere all around the summers
el bolson flee market - artists from around argentina
casa (house) hindu - el bolson. they love us out here


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hippies rejoice – a must see destination is el bolson. And so far one of my favorite places in Argentina . it’s a liberal town with artists and people who like the alternative lifestyle from all over the country have made it its home.

Not far from bariloche, el bolson in a place where you feel positive and happy vibes from the beginning. My plan was to stay here from 2 days but I ended up staying for 5. There is party and a relaxed atmosphere around every corner. Three time a week there is a flee market in el bolson and I can vouch that its probably the most interesting around the world. During the flee market there is a live music playing in the park – jazz, reggae, fusion. The town also brews a lot of beers and it’s a good way spending the afternoon and soaking in the atmosphere.

There is a lot of smoking going but if it’s not for you, no one bothers you. At times people are quick to label others who opt to choose an alternative lifestyle but its unfair because it isn’t that they are misfits, just regular folks who choose a slightly different path.

Then there is the awesome hiking which attracts people. I went to bosque tashado, a 20km trek which leads to a forest where artists from south America have made sculptures on trees. Again its one of the things you have got to see to appreciate the work. Unique and definitely worth the effort. But on the way back the hunger had taken over and it only takes a few minutes to convince an argentine to drop you on his truck to the town.

Bolson is peaceful and unpretentious surrounded by jagged peaks. Close by there is lago (lake) pheulo where the sun demands you take a swim. Cold for sure the water is but beers can do wonders for your confidence. At the lake you appreciate the sheer power of nature. I must admit there were moments before I left for my trip when I wondered if I’d taken the right step my leaving my job but there are moments and experiences when the beauty which lies in front (this time I don’t mean the gorgeous argentine women) convinces you and it sure did convince me that it was the best decision of my life to leave my job and head to SA. No matter how long you sit time isn’t enough to let the magnificence of nature settle inside you.

Back from lago pheulo and there was a fiesta going on in the town. First a carnival where people were dancing to the beats of drums on the street and all you need to do is join them. Like they say – when in rome……..

The carnival on the streets wasn’t enough and at night there was a traditional Spanish fiesta in the main square. That night I thought I can travel for the rest of my life without ever feeling the need to go back home. The adventure just doesn’t seem to stop in Argentina. There was traditional dances, guitar and of course beer and wine cant be far behind.

With me were friends from Greece, brazil, England, Canada but my favorite was gerrard from Germany. In his sixties and he has been travelling for the last 15 years. Alone mind you.

Camping was the order of the day again in el bolson but the hostel guys were nice enugh t let me use the kitchen and pass out on the sofa. Muchas gracias Sophia.

Guess which is the favorite which could be the favorite song of Canadian dj. Dam maro dam….mit jaye gum…bolo subha shyam….hare Krishna hare ram...and when i told her the meaning of the song she said it suddenly became loads more cooler.

No comments:

Post a Comment